Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rwanda

I sent out my newsletters a week ago, so I hope most of you have them. Well in 10 days I am heading to Rwanda. It is so crazy to think about it. It is coming up fast. We had a guy, Ed, come give us a bit of an orientation about Rwanda. He lived there for a couple years. Well it was so intense hearing about it. Well for anyone that doesnt know a genocide took place there in 1994. It was the Hutu tribe trying to kill off the Tutsi tribe. The entire world sat back as it happened. Ed had been living in Uganda when it happened and they met Tusti refugees and he said the stories were unimaginable. He only told us one and I was almost bawling. A lady had a baby and the Hutu men took the baby and chopped of its arms then handed the baby back and said 'Now he will never hold a weapon'. That was just one story. Ed told us about some of the women at the YWAM base there. Oh my word, their stories are amazing. Everyone is affected by it still. When we go we will be helping with many different programs. Teaching the widows skills so they can earn a living for their kids. Many of them have aids. There is just so much need there. We are going, but we are going with Gods love. We are not going as westerners with our noses turned up. We are going there and we are going to serve them. Whatever we can do to serve them.
We watched Hotel Rwanda last night. I had never seen it. Ive never had such sorrow in my life. Watching it with the view of we will be there in 10 days was extremely hard. I was so ashamed of my country. After the movie was over the room of 12 people was completely silent.

Im really excited to be there. I hope this post hasnt been too harsh. At the same moment Ed told us there is a lot of reconciliation happening there. God is doing good work and there is forgiveness all around. Its really amazing to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Cherie, you and the team are definitely in my prayers!! May you be a blessing everywhere you go, and may God give you extra strength and wisdom to do and say HIS words to these people! May your team experience unity like never before! You need that there in Rwanda.
    I look forward to the updates! How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete