Thursday, June 23, 2005

Spilling time

Yesterday was one of the worst days. I had an eight hour shift at Starbucks then Tanya from Reds was desperate for me to work for her so she could go to Victoria. I thought it would be good serving experience! Well it wasnt!!!

The eight hours at Starbucks was long and tiring, I couldnt sleep the night before so was working on 7 hours, which for me is horrible! I need at least 9! Even that is not good. 10 or 11 is pro! Yes I know I am wierd. We also had our District Manager in Starbucks, so I was getting told off a lot. Things had to be perfect and my shift leader was extrememly paranoid. It sucked, I guess I take critism really bad., which is not good! I need to learn from my mistakes. Well maybe me being sensitive makes me remember them and work on them all the more! So after eight hours of that in the arly morning I was ready to call it a day. But I still had my chiropractor appointment which meant no time for a nap before Reds. So tried my best to relax but I was just exhausted.

Got to Reds almost late and my boss kindly told me that I was supposed to start 15 minutes ago. Oh dear. But it really wasnt my fault! Tanya told me 530!! Troy was fine though, we werent terribly busy at all! The beginning of the night was alright. I did okay, but then TJ the other server, who was serving in the section next to me, started falling behind. So I had to take some of his tables! so I had 8 tables while he had 6! And he was the more expierenced one! That was when things started getting hectic. I was trying my best to keep up with dang drink refills and everything and get all my tables happy, when Troy comes ove and tells me I am takin over all the tables upstairs, which is ANOTHER 9 tables! AHHHH I almost freaked. Then I got sat 5 tiems in a row. Now I bet this doesnt make sense to most of you but im gett ing my frustration out with how bad the night went so bear with me! Well i cant even get people their FIRST drinks cuz I have to greet my new tables in 30 seconds. So im getting so many orders at one! At least I had paper but it was wet and my pens were slowly dissappearing! (which I saw later on one of TJ's tables doing a visa...not cool! pen stealer!) So everyone knows im freakin out. So they dont give me any more new tables. Well I forgot to ring in two things! one was a guys soup, Troy found it and go it to him right away, so he was fine. The other was not so great. The guy was with his two kids (by the way they had been terribly rude to me the whole time) and he only told me when I brought the bill that he didnt get his burger. They had gotten an appy so I thought that was his meal. He was not happy. That is when everything crashed. I ran to the back and could not hold it and burst into tears. I HATE DOING THAT! I was so exhausted and I absolutely hate people being upset with me, plus I felt that everything was unfair. I should not have had that many tables since I am a new server! Ive had like 3 real serving shifts!

So Troy realizing what I was going through said I was done, which did not mean I could go home but I wouldnt get any more tables. So I tried to get my bearings and another server Wendy helped me with all my drinks and stuff. The rest of the night was better although one of the unfortunate tables that was there during my horrible time left upset not knowing where I was half the time. I didnt expect to get good tips but it came out ok. A little under 10%, and that was after tipping out the kitchen.

See most people dont understand that tipping 10% mean I maybe get about 5% of it! I have to tip out so many people! Ok here is an example! I sold $475 worth of food. I have to tip the kitchen $9.50 of it. So 2%. I have to tip the expo a dollar per hour so I gave her $2.50. Then I have to tip out the bartender which is another 1%. So I gave her $4.75. Then if a busser is on they get .5% so $2.25. So after giving away all that money I came home with $35 after selling $475! Not the best at all. After working at a restaurant I understand how important tipping really is! 15% at leat!

So that was my busy day! I got 12 hours in. So in that way it is nice but still I will try not to do that again! Tonight is my night off, I cannot wait. Although I dont want to be out late cuz I am so tired! Thanks all for listening!
signing off
cherie

2 comments:

  1. ah, dont worry babe! Everything will work out. You still considering quitting Red Robin or are you sticking with it for good? Love ya, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you Cherie. That sounds really tough! You've given me a good idea of how hard waitressing can be. I think I will become a better tipper because of you :)

    ReplyDelete